“The coming of the Kingdom of God cannot be observed,
and no one will announce,
‘Look, here it is’ or, ‘There it is’.
For behold, the kingdom is among you.”
St. Luke the Evangelist
You are invited to join us this Sunday at 10:30. If you are away, or unwell, please join by Zoom.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 580 558 8254 Passcode: Fellowship
Please remember in your prayers:
The Most Rev. Justin Welby, Archbishop of Canterbury;
The Most Rev. Linda Nicholls, Primate of the Anglican Church of Canada;
The Most Rev. Gregory Kerr-Wilson, Archbishop of the Anglican Diocese of Calgary;
The Rt. Rev. Leopold Friday, Bishop of our Companion Diocese of the Windward Islands;
– This Sunday’s service; that the Holy Spirit will inspire our worship and bless us through God’s Word:
– The Prayer of Jabez: Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me indeed and enlarge my territory, that your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil so that I may not cause pain!” And God granted what he requested. (I Chron. 4:10)
– Those who are sick, suffering, fearful, or in need, and their caregivers, doctors, and nurses:
– To give thanks for those who have died in the peace of Christ, and pray for those who mourn:
– For the poor, the homeless, the disabled, and the needy in our communities, and those who help them:
– For peace within our country, and in the world, remembering the Ukraine, the Middle East and tensions in the Far East; we pray for areas of unrest and riots, asking for wise discernment in our leaders:
– For the victims of violence and natural disasters, particularly remembering those displaced because of wildfires, floods, hurricanes, and those working to bring relief, such as firefighters and first responders:
– Refugees, remembering those fleeing wars, oppressive regimes and natural disasters:
– Our Indigenous brothers and sisters, and their leaders in our diocese and country:
– Our Diocesan Synod October 13 and 14 in Okotoks, for their prayerful deliberations.
– Our congregation of St. Benedict’s; that we may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God. (c.f. Colossians 4:12).
Diocesan Cycle of Prayer
|October 15, 2023||St. Aidan & St. Chad, Cowley
St. John, Pincher Creek
The Rev. Doug Rawling
Creation Care Calgary
|St. James, Layou (lie-oo) with
St. Mary, Buccament on
The Rev. Canon Ashton Francis, Priest-in-Charge
Our Prayer Chain: Confidential requests are welcome, updates are appreciated and are of great encouragement. Contact Llizabet at [email protected]
We have members of our congregation who would like to attend a Cursillo weekend this fall. If you have attended Cursillo in the past and were sponsored by someone else, please consider passing on the blessing. You can donate through the church annotated “Cursillo Sponsorship”.
Foundations for Preaching Course- Beginning November 6
The Calgary School of Discipleship will be offering our Foundations for Preaching course in November and December. The course will run on four Monday evenings (November 6, 13, and 27 & December 11) beginning at 6:30pm via Zoom, and will be led by The Rev. Br. Jason Carroll, The Ven. Dr. Pilar Gateman and Rev. Steve Bateman from St. Augustine, Lethbridge. There will be a cost of $75; help is available if the cost is a problem. This course is available to those seeking Licensing for Lay Ministry as well as anyone who is interested.
This course will provide students with the theological grounding of preaching in Scripture and prayer, education on how to craft and write a good sermon, instruction on good delivery and mechanics of public speaking, and opportunity to discuss the nature and specific challenges of preaching in a modern context. Students will be able to make connections between Scripture and the journey of faith, understand the importance and purpose of preaching in the life of the Christian church and the world, and distinguish appropriately between the office of preaching and the opportunity to express publicly their own private opinion, while being able to incorporate stories from their personal journey of faith in an appropriate manner.
Update on Sponsorship Request
Thanks be to God for answered prayer! We put out an appeal last summer to spread the word that a sponsor was being sought to enable a Christian woman and her two children to apply to come to Canada under a government program for personal care workers.
This summer, someone came forward from one of our parishes to say they were willing to sponsor her part-time to look after their aging parent. Another part-time sponsor was secured and so the largest hurdle was overcome. As we speak, the VISA paperwork is being prepared for imminent submission after the mother completed her English language, police, and other required checks.
Heartfelt thanks to all who passed this request along to their parishes. Please pray that the process will be free of hindrances and that this family will be able to come to Calgary as quickly as possible.
Refugee Moment – Arrival of a Refugee Family in Need of…everything!
The Diocese has learned of a refugee family arriving this week, who are in need of almost everything.
Their first need is a place to rent, preferably in the NW, (at least a three-bedroom unit) for a husband, wife and seven children. The boys’ ages are 20 and 18, and the girls’ ages are 16, 14, 10, 8 and 5.
What else do they need? They will need a lot: school backpacks, shoes, clothes, beds, mattresses or bunk beds. or anything for use in the kitchen and a TV. Anything will be helpful.
If there are any questions, please contact The Rev. John Chuol at 403 690 1527.
Coffee hour: Please sign up to help with coffee hour. Donations of muffins and cookies are welcome!
October 12th – Parish Council 7 pm.
October 14th – 9 am Church yard cleanup weather permitting!
October 13-14th – Diocesan Synod. St. Peter’s Okotoks
October 18th – 9:30am. Holy Communion BCP
October 22nd – Sunday Service with Prayer for Healing
Men’s Cursillo– October 26-29th; Women’s Cursillo– November 2nd-5th
Rev Haydn will be in the office on Wednesday and Friday from about 9:30 am to 2 pm.
Church office: 403 652 2271
Please contact the Wardens with any concerns and good news!
Rector: 403 999 4181. [email protected]
Rector’s Warden: Liz Sutherland: 403 601 6952 C
People’s Warden: Pat Reid: 403 652 2021
Donations by etransfer via [email protected]ch